Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The infinite joy of parenting

I recall a small conversation between an ex-boss of mine (He's departed now, may his soul rest in peace) and myself when my wife was carrying. He, a father of two, was teasing me. Quoting his words, "You have no idea what's gonna hit you for the first 3 years of being a parent.". And he followed it up with a jocular laugh. And the customary rejoinder was not far behind, "I was just kidding yaar", he said. And as my daughter approaches her second birthday with boundless packets of energy, I can't get enough of telling myself how true my ex-boss' words were. I have no idea what hits me every moment I spend with the lil 'un, but there's no doubt its what our scriptures describe as Satchidananda - Eternal Joy.

For starters, the girl shows an above average intelligence. She's hardly 22 months old but is already showing signs of being a linguist. She's at ease understanding 4 languages (English, Hindi, Konkani and Telugu) and can converse quite a bit in telugu and konkani. Living in a multilingual environment definitely helps - my wife being a telugu speaker, my mother tongue being konkani and our medium of communication shuffling between english and hindi. And it doesn't stop at languages. She can count till ten. No...not just recite numbers from one to ten...but actually count objects. She can distinguish between vehicles (buses, cars, bikes, scooters, cycles) quite accurately. And yes...how can one forget identifying a smattering of animals, fruits and veggies (not just from her picture books, but also in real). She knows where different things are kept in the fridge and reaches out accurately for butter, chocolates and juice whenever she wants any. She's extremely inquisitive too and is already asking questions way beyond her age.

Another quality in her that adds to my joy is her compassion. She truly cares. She cares for her mother and father, her aunt and grandmother, her friends, the pet mongrel downstairs and anyone else within the spectrum of her radar. Never has she eaten anything without sharing it with whoever else is around. The slightest of inconvenient feelings around her affect her disposition. And if she sees happiness around her, her energy and excitement increase multifold.


And her last, but not the least endearing quality is her expressiveness. Her face can be used for a body language video. Her eyes give out her feelings so clearly. And she knows how to shade her lovely smile the right way - mischievous, affectionate, happy, imploring. By the Almighty's grace, she doesn't have a sarcastic smile yet. As I mentioned above, she's on her way to be a linguist. She also uses her verbal skills to the best of her abilities. And her kisses and hugs are magical touches that give you a high no narcotic can ever give.


Well...I wish that this joy remains throughout my stint at parenthood. Some people may call it wishful thinking, but I've enjoyed being an optimist and a romantic. And as a firm believer in Karma, I know we can shape destinies. So why not this?

8 comments:

Aravind said...

Above average indeed! Learning to distinguish languages is a boon to kids, if only we could learn that fast.

My neice is 23 months old, but does not speak yet, we are not bothered. She saw a dog (she loves dogs) and promptly snatched her father's mobile to click a picture though she doesn't know how to operate, she knows that the thing takes pics.

Enjoy your fatherhood while it lasts. :)

The Narcissist said...

Thank you :)

And yeah...good think you don't bother about your neice. There are multiple faculties that develop simultaneously in children, and maybe the ones she's developing faster are not that overt.

Jai said...

Aravind: I did nt get your point on enjoying fatherhood 'while it lasts'

The Narcissist said...

Maybe he meant that parenthood doesn't really remain so once kids reach adolescence. Whatever...I didn't pay much attention to that.

drift wood said...

i'd say ur lil princess is lucky to have such a doting parent.
there's smthing absol magical abt the way kids can make u smile at ur worst moments. all it takes is one naughty look, one mispronounced word, one clumsy effort to mimic the mother.... however, there r also moments when my 2.5 yr old makes me wish the earth wud swallow me whole!

Anonymous said...

i loved this post... when i see such kids i always marvel at their IQ and spontaneity.. but somehow i never see their parents affected pleasantly by it.
i m sure kids love it wen they r appreciated! and i really admire parents who make their kids feel special.. the way u have here!

The Narcissist said...

Thank you Sneha :)

This was written a year and a half ago. I'm planning to write another one in a few days to highlight the changes Sita and our relationships have gone through. Today, we call each other our best friends and I take her to be my greatest stress buster. And her questions have transcended to a different level altogether.

Garden Pavilion said...

A timid suggestion from other latitudes? Be the father your girl dreams of. Parents are not meant to be "best friends".
Continue to have Sita hear and speak all four languages, and start (playful) lessons... (in all four languages) before 7 years old. My son Gyan hated those lessons, and today he is perfectly trilingual and grateful that I insisted.